Skip to main content
Bilal
Environmentalist
Asked a question 10 months ago

Almost everyone is aware about various environmental concerns then why do we fail to motivate mass communities towards the sustainable environmental approach ?

Where am I?

In Snowball you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Hey Bilal, what an excellent question; one that certainly doesn't have that one 'magical' answer. 

From what I've been able to research behind the psychology of Climate Change is that naturally our brains are hardwired to ignore it. This issue is complicated, unfamiliar, invisible and slow-moving. We cannot see the gases burning in the atmosphere, there is no impending exact deadline of doom that would motivate us to take action, and there is no reprimand nor positive reinforcement, to our actions. 

Many of us see images in the media of melting icecaps, raising temperatures and sea levels; these photos unconsciously tell people that environmental concerns are distant problems that won't affect us personally. The issue is that climate change is typically framed as solely an environmental problem, this isn't the case - a changing climate will trigger other global crises. 

It is the way we go about communicating about climate action that needs to change - 'we live in a time in which the combination of human creativity, technology, wealth, knowledge and international corporation may be able to respond to it'. 

One of my favourite quotes by Johan Norberg16 (a Swedish author and historian of ideas with a devotion to promoting economic globalisation) states in his book (Progress: Ten Reasons to Look Forward to the Future)  that we have made more progress over the last 100 years than in the first 100,000. 

This article says it much better than me: here17

But I hope this helps.

Emily

Yeh great question Bilal. 👍

Just to add to Emily's great answer, I think you're right to ask the question about mobilising 'mass' communities.

It's exactly what we need to do if we're going to effectively combat climate change. Whether that mass community is a collective of connected smaller/local communities, or its own standalone community - it's vitally important that we do engage and mobilise right across society.

With mass communities comes excitement about the collective impact of that community. It allows you to focus not just on the impact of our individual actions but also, importantly, on the impact of the collective. This collective, social, wide-reaching, inclusive approach to climate action is exactly what Snowball is about.

Over time we want to develop a platform that allows people to join a mass community and know their actions are important individual but are also part of a movement that's bigger than themselves.

Here's trying! Any other questions or thoughts Bilal, please let us know!

Thanks

Harry

Related Questions

No related questions.